Expatriate training and coaching programs for new expatriates are wise investments. They reduce the risk of in sending high-value employees into a new, different work environment while merely hoping that they'll rapidly regain prior levels of performance.
COACHING FOR GLOBAL ADVANTAGE is GROVEWELL's culturally calibrated approach to coaching and training. It enables leaders to adapt rapidly and perform effectively while encountering the unfamiliar values, mindsets, and practices of counterparts abroad.
The Learn More button will bring a swift response from partner Willa Hallowell, who leads GROVEWELL's expatriate support practice. Or phone her at +1-718-492-1896.
A VARIETY OF DELIVERY MODES AND CONTENT
COACHING FOR EXPATRIATES
Our 30 years of service to global corporations has emphasized coaching, including the coaching of new expatriates. Learn more about GROVEWELL's Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching, which enhances the expat's timely adaptation to the host culture (spouses and partners, too!).
COACHING FOR THE CHILDREN OF EXPATRIATES
We have decades of experience providing coaching for the children of expatriates, ages 5-18. The parents are as warmly complimentary about this coaching as are their children.
GROUP TRAINING FOR EXPATRIATES
In addition to expatriate coaching, we've also designed and delivered many expatriate training programs tailored to meet the needs of...
- assignees, i.e., only the individuals assigned to work abroad
- assignees who only need country briefings
- expatriate couples, i.e., assignees together with spouses or partners
- spouses and partners only
COACHING AT THE END OF AN EXPATRIATE ASSIGNMENT
We offer coaching to address the adaptations needed at an assignment's end, including for expatriates returning home after living & working abroad, and for expatriates leaving one host country and relocating to another. Learn more about GROVEWELL's Repatriation Coaching.
|Our Uncomplicated Process||Additional Information about Each Step|
|Contact us by email, phone, or the Learn More button.||We'll need your location, the number of participants, and the purpose of the service.|
|We'll try to assign a service deliverer in your area.||Depending on the purpose of the service, our deliverer will need to travel to/from your site.|
|Fees depend on days & number of service deliverers.||We rarely set fees based on number of participants. However, see the next line below.|
|We request no more than 20 trainees per session.||If you have over 20 trainees, we will expect either a second session or a second trainer.|
|GROVEWELL has no contract that you must sign.||We do expect to receive a purchase order from you (or other payment guarantee).|
CONTRACTUAL AND FEE-RELATED INFORMATION
- Clients arrange for our coaching, consulting, or training services by means of either a formal contracting processes or an informal agreement. We adapt to each client’s requirements. We do not require a contract.
- Our fees are set by the number of deliverers and the duration of the services. (We rarely charge on a per-participant basis.) For a half-day or less of on-client-site services, we charge 75% of our full day rate.
- Additional fees might apply in some cases, such as for development, customization, or materials design. Any expenses – deliverer travel, materials shipping, etc. – are passed on to our client at cost.
- We authorize services to occur after we receive verification from our client that our invoices will be honored. Usually, verification occurs by means of a Purchase Order number.
- For details, contact Cornelius Grove using the Learn More button, or phone him at +1-718-492-1896.
IDP Coaching by GROVEWELL: Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is GROVEWELL? Answer
- What types of coaching will GROVEWELL deliver? Answer
- Are family members included in the coaching? Answer
- Who actually delivers GROVEWELL's coaching? Answer
- Where do the coaching workshops occur? Answer
- When do the coaching workshops occur? Answer
- How are the coaching workshops scheduled? Answer
- Will coaching be available to support our return? Answer
- Have former IDPs found GROVEWELL's coaching useful? Answer
Now in its 29th year, GROVEWELL LLC is a respected provider of Global Leadership Coaching for managers and executives, and of Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching for relocating businesspeople and their families. Our success is due to our integration of the wisdom of two vibrant professional fields – Leadership Coaching, and Intercultural Communication – yielding our "culturally calibrated" coaching approach.
What types of coaching will GROVEWELL deliver?
We provide Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching workshops for each IDP and his or her family members. This type of coaching supports your family's adaptation to the new cultural, social, and business environment in your host community and country.
We provide Global Leadership Coaching workshops for each IDP. This is classic executive coaching - globalized - that accelerates leadership development and enhances performance of emerging and established J&J leaders with global responsibilities.
Are family members included in the coaching?
Yes, your spouse or partner is expected to participate in the Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching because it promotes both family members' adaptation to their host country and community. In the United States and a few other nations, we also offer Children & Youth Coaching for IDP's accompanying children between the ages of 6 and 18.
Who actually delivers GROVEWELL's coaching?
GROVEWELL's coaches are former senior business leaders who now are devoting themselves to executive and leadership coaching as full-time professionals. Each has been determined by GROVEWELL's partners to be a mature, experienced, credentialed, and effective coach. Almost all of GROVEWELL's coaches have lived and worked internationally. Many are bilingual; some are multilingual.
Where do the coaching workshops occur?
Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching always is delivered in your own home, either in your home country or your host country. Global Leadership Coaching always is delivered in your office or other available space at your host country J&J facility.
When do the coaching workshops occur?
Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching, or "CCAC," is scheduled in one of two ways. One option is for the entire day of coaching to be delivered soon after you've settled into your new host community. The other option is for half a day of CCAC to be delivered prior to your departure from your home country, and half a day to occur after you've settled into your new host community.
Global Leadership Coaching, or "GLC," is scheduled to begin very soon after CCAC has ended. GLC is always delivered in your host country, and always by the same coach who delivered your CCAC in the host country.
How are the coaching workshops scheduled?
In the beginning, scheduling is handled by GROVEWELL's coordinator, Josephine Venton-Gough, who has relocated internationally three times. After you establish a relationship with your host country coach, you and your coach will do your own scheduling.
If Josephine hasn't contacted you already, she will quite soon. You are encouraged to contact Josephine at any time at email@example.com or +1-732-742-4407 (in New Jersey).
Will coaching be available to support our return?
Yes, the IDP Office encourages you and your family to take advantage of GROVEWELL's Repatriation Workshop or, if your family will be relocating to a third country, GROVEWELL's Transition Workshop. More information about these opportunities will be made available as you near the end of your IDP assignment.
Have former IDPs found GROVEWELL's coaching useful?
Please visit Grovewell.com/testimonials/. Of the dozens of testimonials there, the majority are from J&J IDPs previously coached by GROVEWELL.
Grovewell Support Overview
Frequently Asked Questions about Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching:
- Who is GROVEWELL? Answer
- How experienced is GROVEWELL at this work? Answer
- Who actually delivers this cross-cultural coaching? Answer
- Will we know who our coach is before our coaching? Answer
- When and where does the coaching workshop occur? Answer
- What actually happens during the workshop? Answer
- What about support for our children? Answer
- What will GROVEWELL’s coaching address? Answer
- What will GROVEWELL’s coaching not address? Answer
- Do relocating families find this coaching useful? Answer
- What are the benefits of this type of coaching? Answer
Who is GROVEWELL?
Now in its 29th year, GROVEWELL LLC is a respected provider of Global Leadership Coaching for managers and executives, and of Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching for relocating employees and their families. Our success is due to our integration of the wisdom of two vibrant professional fields – Leadership Coaching, and Intercultural Communication – yielding our "culturally calibrated" coaching approach.
How experienced is GROVEWELL at this work?
We have provided Cross-Cultural Adaptability Coaching workshops for over 2,000 internationally relocating corporate families on six continents. Hundreds of these workshops have included our Children & Youth Coaching for one or more accompanying children between the ages of 6 and 18.
Who actually delivers this cross-cultural coaching?
Our coaches are senior professionals who became executive & leadership coaches following years as managers and leaders in global corporations. Each has the emotional maturity to respond to an array of situations and personalities. To work in London with Chanel’s relocating employees, our partners have assigned four coaches who are U.K. natives or long-term residents:
- Sandra Henson: Sandra’s leadership experience was with Zeneca and Hydron, where she had P&L responsibility for a global brand. Holder of several coach certifications, Sandra has been an independent coach since 2000. Her client list includes Microsoft, Silicon Valley Bank, Abbott, GSK, Takeda, Compass Group, and Dell.
- Tom Hoogewerf: Tom’s leadership experience was with Inmarsat and Eutelsat, and he’s lived and worked in both the U.S. and France. He’s been an independent management consultant and coach since 1993. Tom’s recent clients have included McKinsey, Bank of America, GSK, BP, Microsoft, Facebook, Nokia, and Mercedes-Benz.
- Joy Ferguson: Joy’s leadership career was with British Telecom and Dun & Bradstreet; she's worked as an independent coach since the late 1990s. Joy, a coach supervisor who holds several coach certifications, has a client list that includes KPMG, GlaxoSmithKlein, Shell, Barclays, Prudential, Oracle, Harley-Davidson, Tesco, and Nielsen.
- Nancy Glynn: Nancy was a global C-suite executive for several blue chip companies and has lived in six nations. She holds several qualifications as a business coach. Working in the field of leadership development since 2008, Nancy’s clients include HSBC, McKinsey, Celgene, Roche, Daimler, TigerRisk, and several technology firms.
Will we know who our coach is before our coaching?
Yes! You and your coach will be in direct communication well before the day of your workshop. In fact, our coaches are hoping that, before the coaching workshop, they'll be able to become acquainted via phone, Skype, or Zoom with at least one family member.
When and where does the coaching workshop occur?
Our workshop will occur after you and your family are comfortably settled in your London-area home, which is where the coaching will be delivered. Its duration is either one day or two half days. Saturdays, Sundays, and U.K. holidays are possible.
Scheduling is being handled by our coordinator, Josephine Venton-Gough, who has relocated internationally three times. Contact Josephine any time at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1-732-742-4407 (in New Jersey).
What actually happens during the workshop?
Our coach arrives by 9:30am. She or he will have a Participant’s Manual for each adult; this manual is not a curriculum or agenda but rather a useful aid during many of the discussions that occur during this engaging day. During the lunch break, coach and family may either go to a nearby restaurant or enjoy take-out together in the family’s home. Coaching resumes in the early afternoon; in most cases the workshop ends at 4:30pm.
What about support for our children?
GROVEWELL has been providing Children & Youth Coaching for nearly 20 years. If children or young adults are being coached, our children's coach will arrive together with our coach for the adults. Or, if preferred by the parents, she may arrive on another day. (If on another day, at least one parent must be at home throughout the day.) This coaching employs a wide variety of methods and materials, depending on the child or children’s ages. At the end of the day, the children and coach together will share with the parents what they’ve been doing. To work with the children of Chanel’s relocating employees, our partners have assigned:
- Petra Ramsden: Petra is a former corporate manager whose daughters travel on German passports but have never lived in Germany. She and her husband raised them in Cairo, Warsaw, and London. Recently, Petra received this from a mother: "Thank you for the amazing interactive coaching you provided for our daughter. She was discussing various topics with us over the weekend!"
What will GROVEWELL’s coaching address?
“Culture” is a word with myriad meanings, some of which we’re all aware of (such as marriage customs and food preparation), while others we rarely think about (such as how time is used and ways of influencing or persuading others). It’s the meanings of culture we rarely think about that can make living and working in a new environment so challenging.
You and your coach will consider these cultural aspects of life in the highly multicultural London area, and how they differ from (or are similar to) similar aspects of life in New York, Paris, Luxembourg, or Hong Kong. You’ll gain insights not only into native Britons but equally into people from other cultures whom you'll encounter or need to cooperate with at work and in your neighborhood.
Our workshop will enable you to understand which personal skills, attitudes, and qualities will serve you well during your assignment abroad. You and your coach will consider how best to observe, inquire about, understand, and leverage differences across cultural boundaries – national, organizational, and ethnic.
Our workshop engages you in caring, interactive, consultative coaching. You’ll come away with an expanded repertoire of behaviors, and with strategies for adaptation, satisfaction, and influence within the U.K.
What will GROVEWELL's coaching not address?
Our workshop is not a course in British etiquette, nor does it provide a simplistic list of do’s and don’ts. Our coach won’t regale you with details you can find in an atlas or on the web. We don’t cover the types of information and services that you’ve been receiving from your Lexicon relocation consultant or others who are helping you settle in; our services are complementary to theirs.
Do relocating families find this coaching useful?
Here are three excerpts from testimonials written by recently relocated individuals and families, drawn from our much larger group of testimonials at Grovewell.com/testimonials/#Chanel.
“When I think about my assignment from Brazil to the United Kingdom, one of the most important preparations I had was the cultural coaching. It really helped me and my wife to understand about how the English behave, their values, and how to approach them in order to become a member of the team.”
“One of my huge learning opportunities was cross-cultural adaptability coaching. This was extremely helpful for my initial adaptation and continues to be of great assistance for my professional interactions.”
“My wife and I would like to thank you for an excellent workshop. We went to this workshop with a lot of inhibition, but looking back I can say that this was the most useful workshop I ever attended. It changed our outlook and perspective on the U.S., both personally and professionally. The children’s workshop for [name of their son] was fantastic. We sincerely appreciate the passion that was demonstrated by your coaches.”
What are the benefits of this type of coaching?
Moving to a new country and culture can be an exciting adventure – and a frustrating challenge. Each person’s – each family’s – transition is unique. Our coaches are sensitive to the resulting variety of emotions. With decades of experience behind them, they respond to each family’s needs and concerns with empathy and skill.
Your coach will help you consider the nuances of the assumptions, values, mindsets, and behavior found in multicultural London. She or he will explore with you ways to accurately interpret the behavior of the people with whom you'll be interacting, and to enhance your ability to form insights into why some of your neighbors and colleagues seem odd, “hard-to-read,” or frustratingly difficult.
Expats often tell us that they learned far more from our coaching that is professionally and socially useful than they thought they would. Some say that they’ve learned not only about others, but also about themselves.